Call us:    601.957.3101

Español: 601-326-3000 


EmiliaOur lawyers will meet with you to determine your specific eligibility to petition for relatives (or future relatives such as fiance or a prospective adopted child) to immigrate to the United States.

Can I Help a Family Member Immigrate?

Your status determines which relatives (or future relatives) may be eligible to receive immigration benefits. In order to help a family member immigrate, you must be:

  1. a U.S. Citizen;
  2. a Green Card Holder; or
  3. a qualifying refuge or asylee.

How does the process work?

To help a relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States by obtaining a “Green Card,” you will need to sponsor your relative and be able to prove that you have enough income or assets to support your relative(s) when they come to the United States.

We will help you start the process by meeting with you to determine if your relative meets the requirements for admission. We will then prepare and file Form I-130 which is the Petition for an Alien Relative. The filing of this Petition gives your relative a place in line. When your relative reaches the front of the line, he or she should be eligible to immigrate after passing the required background checks.

When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

In most cases, when your relative gets to the front of the line, his or her spouse and unmarried children under 21 can apply for an immigrant visa.

Consult With Our Team

To discuss how one of our lawyers can assist you with your immigration matter, contact us online or call 601-957-3101.